East Cowes boosted their chances of bagging a play-off spot with a gritty win against 11th place Fawley in tonight's Wessex league games.

Vics welcomed their opponents to Beatrice Avenue sitting in fifth position in Division One.

They were looking to return to winning ways, having drawn and lost their last two games.

Manager Alex Smith was forced into changes due to the unavailability of Jake Wright and Ji Nash and Gareth Bricknall was called upon for only his second appearance.

Vics started the brighter, with early chances falling to Charlie Marsek and Raff Boyd-Kerr. 

With just nine minutes on the lock, the home side took the lead. A corner from Aedan Coode was headed in by Jacob Reynolds.

Further chances fell to Jez Conway, Charlie Marsek, Toby Snow and Harrison Yates but they failed to make the most of them.

At half-time, the score was 1-0.

As the second half got underway, Vics' possession started to frustrate Fawley.

It wasn’t until the 67th minute that the Oilers had their first shot on target — an effort Alex Ram was equal to.

Aedan Coode’s effort on 70 minutes sailed just over and Ram made another confident save in the 72nd minute.

Final score: East Cowes Vics 1-0 Fawley.

Elsewhere in Division One, Newport, who sat in 14th place, travelled to promotion chasers Millbrook.

They had been hoping to continue their fine form and bag their third win in a row.

They started brightly, too. An early chance fell to Jordan Brown in the first minute of the game but he failed to capitalise.

With 18 minutes gone, the home side took the lead and things went from bad to worse for Port after that.

Two goals in quick succession saw the away side trailing 3-0 on the half hour mark.

The Island side responded well - Joe Butcher with a fine effort. But, on the stroke of half-time, Millbrook added a fourth.

In the second half, Newport attempted to turn their fortunes around.

With 52 minutes played, Butcher was again unlucky - this time his effort hit the post, before rolling across the goal to the other post.

Despite their efforts, Port couldn't prevent Millbrook adding a fifth in the 63rd minute.

Final score: Millbrook 5-0 Newport.

In the Premier Division, Cowes Sports travelled to Laverstock and Ford sitting just six points off a play-off spot.

The Yachtsmen's previous fixture saw them draw 2-2 with Andover New Street.

Tonight, both teams saw plenty of the ball in the first half but neither could make it count.

In the 22nd minute Laverstock had a great chance to go in front but a free header could only be put wide.

Just before half-time, Connor Kelly saw his free kick from around 22 yards out tipped past the post and both teams went into the break all square. 

In the second half, The Yachtsmen pushed for an opener and their patience was rewarded in the 65th minute.

George Carter-Knight expertly controlled a Connor Kelly cross to blast it past the keeper and put Cowes in front.

Desperate for the equaliser, Laverstock pushed men forward but a miss-kick saw the ball go straight to Colson.

He found Kelly, who beat the defender and slotted past the keeper to make it 2-0 in the 89th minute.

A further two quick fire goals, courtesy of Will Bridi (his first for the club), and Colson, ensured The Yachtsmen sailed to victory. 

Final score: Laverstock and Ford 0-4 Cowes Sports.