Newport made it a birthday to remember with an impressive victory over Division One high-flyers, Alresford Town today (Saturday).

Port had yet to win this year coming into their match at Beatrice Avenue, but they were eager to end that stat on the club's 136th anniversary.

The home side didn't get off to the best start, however. With just 11 minutes on the clock, Alresford went ahead.

That lead didn't last long, though. Just ten minutes later, Jordan Browne bundled home a fine corner from Josh Younie.

With momentum on their side, Port added a second in the 37th minute - a goal from Nicky Vyse ensuring they went into the break 2-1 up.

Nine minutes into the second-half the home side extended their lead. Joe Butcher slotted past the on running keeper and into an empty net.

Joe Craig saw red with 25 minutes to go, but Port held on.

Final score: Newport 3-1 Alresford Town.

In the other Division One game featuring an Island side, East Cowes Vics travelled to Frimley Green.

Before kick off, the visitors sat just outside the play-off places in 6th, while the hosts hovered just above the relegation zone.

Despite the gap between them in the table, there wasn't much to separate the sides on the pitch.

An uneventful first half-off finished 0-0.

And it wasn't until the 82nd minute that there was any real action of note.

Frimley saw a player sent off and Vics had eight minutes to capitalise.

And capitalise they did. Liam Newbold struck in the 88th minute to send the visitors back to the Island with all three points.

Final score: Frimley Green 0-1 East Cowes Vics.

In the Premier Division, Cowes Sports were hoping to continue their fine run of eight wins from nine against Sherborne Town.

It didn't start well for the visitors, who found themselves behind in the 13th minute.

Just seven minutes later, things went from bad to worse when a corner was turned in to make it 2-0.

But two quick fire goals from Connor Kelly on 30 minutes and Ryan Oatley on 35 minutes drew Cowes level.

What looked a blatant penalty for the Island side was waved away just before half-time and it was all square at the break.

In the second-half, Sherborne reclaimed their lead in the 58th minute, before adding their fourth of the game on the 65th minute.

After that, Cowes had a lot of possession but weren't able to convert.

Final score: Sherborne Town 4-2 Cowes Sports.