FANS who came along to cheer on East Cowes Vics were royally entertained with a seven-goal thriller at Beatrice Avenue on Saturday.


In one of a handful of Wessex League matches to beat Storm Isha and the effects of weather earlier in the week, Vics just had the beating of two old Division 1 rivals Ringwood Town.

Isle of Wight County Press: Charlie Marsek, right, in action for Vics against Ringwood Town.Charlie Marsek, right, in action for Vics against Ringwood Town. (Image: Graham Brown)

Thanks to Vics groundsman, Trevor Lacey, the Islanders were able to stage the game, with the weather holding off on The Solent to allow their opponents to travel.

Manager Alex Smith who became a father for the second time last week, had to make several changes to his line-up, with injuries and missing players, so brought in Dan Johnson, James Turner, Isaac Glynn and Elliot Wheeler.

Vics' first effort was a rasping effort from Jez Conway — well saved by the Ringwood keeper.

But despite the positive start by Vics, it was Ringwood who took the lead in the seventh minute — a cross into the box looked a simple collect for keeper, Alex Ram, but he lost the ball under pressure and an opposition player was there to tap in.

Vics were unlucky not to level four minutes later when Conway's effort was well saved, with Jacob Reynolds following up seeing his effort blocked.

The Islanders did not have to wait ling to level — a minute in fact — with Harry Taylor placing the ball in the corner of the net.

The crowd were already getting their money's worth — this time a bullet header from Conway, latching onto a pin-point cross from Ji Nash, was superbly saved in the 16th minute.

Isle of Wight County Press: Vics forward Jez Conway, right, had a great game for Vics.Vics forward Jez Conway, right, had a great game for Vics. (Image: Graham Brown)

Isle of Wight County Press: Vics defender Callum Chase in a tussle with a Ringwood forward.Vics defender Callum Chase in a tussle with a Ringwood forward. (Image: Graham Brown)

Jordan Chapman then saw his looping effort catch the Ringwood keeper flat-footed, but the ball hit the upright.

Then it was Ram who was called upon to make a great save on 26 minutes.

But Vics had to wait until injury time in the first half to take the lead for the first time — a cracking, curling effort from Ji Nash.

Vics came straight out of the blocks in the second period, when a cross by Conway picked out Reynolds, whose header was well saved again.

But the home side were stunned when a brilliant ball into the Vics box was met well in the 51st minute to make it 2-2.

The action was end-to-end, and when Chapman saw his effort blocked, the ball was hit forward and the striker beat the offside to run clear and lob Ram to put Ringwood in front just three minutes later. 

The conceded goal was a huge wake up call for Vics.

On the hour mark, Conway was put clean through, but he was unable to finish.

However, four minutes later, Nash was alert to a back pass and he coolly rounded the keeper to make it all square again, 3-3.

Nash only had to wait a further ten minutes to complete an excellent hat-trick when he hammered home from a superb run and cross by Reynolds.

Conway had a great chance to make the game safe near the end — but his shot sailed just over the crossbar after great work from Yates and Chapman.