Ventnor’s season in the Hampshire Counties Three continues to disappoint, but the spirit of the team and its supporters remain high despite the club’s ever-growing injury list.

Ventnor 7 – 55 Fareham Heathens 

Jake Babington led the team against high-flying Fareham Heathens at Watcombe Bottom on Saturday (November 25).

Ventnor was the first to show as Babington sneaked his way upfield and found Ben Souter, whose pace took him up the left touchline to within 10 meters of the line.

The Islanders’ problems started in the lineout with Joe Coghlan missing and Lewy Morton left as the only catching option, putting pressure on him and stand-in hooker Will Harrison.

The set scrum was also struggling, but George Collett, Harrison and Tristan Price did well to withstand the power.

Ventnor showed some positive skills with the balanced second-row pair of Jason Coltham and Andy Teague putting in the hard yards.

Grant Richardson was a powerful presence in both attack and defence.

Harry Colson’s power was also on display, with his work in attack and defence providing many bright moments.

Fly-half Tom Crews did an exceptional job clearing his lines and getting his backs moving.

Ben Cooper and Joel Cocks paired up in the centres, where Cooper’s power running and Cock’s pace and footwork made a fine impression, while Fred Fairman had a great game on the left wing.

On the other wing, Ed Blake displayed his usual desire to be involved in the action, and his acceleration and balance often took him into the heart of the opposition.

Despite Ventnor’s efforts, however, the Heathens scored five tries in the first half, converting four.

At half time, the score stood at 0 -33, and many a team would have waved the white flag and allowed a cricket score to ensure, but Ventnor dug deep and resisted.

The set scum began to steady as the visitors tired, and some clever variations in the lineout paid dividends.

William Broomfield, Colson, Teague and Coltham took the game to the opposition with some neat pick and gos.

Fairman crashed through two defenders but was brought down short of the line.

Cooper also nearly made it, as Ventnor laid siege to the Heathen’s line before Souter and Crews fed Colson, who crashed over for the long-awaited Ventnor try, which Cooper converted.

On Saturday (December 2), Ventnor First play away at Aldershot & Fleet.