THE football season got underway on Tuesday evening as Cowes Sports and Newport had tricky away games in the Wessex League.

In the Premier, the Yachtsmen went 1-0 down at Portchester — but they were unlucky not to get a result.

Cowes got off to a bright start, with John Mckie, restored as skipper, winning a foul in a dangerous position on two minutes, but a shot inside the box was well saved.

As the half wore on, the hosts looked the more dangerous, with Ed Hatt tipping the ball round the post two minutes before the break.

Isle of Wight County Press:

In first half injury time, Morgan Perrin saw his shot well saved, with Mckie missing the rebound from a tight angle. 

Just after the break, Mckie shoots narrowly wide, but as the half drew on Portchester began to look dangerous and hit the bar on 75 minutes — a huge warning for Cowes.

Two minutes later, the home side scores — and that’s how it stayed until the end.
They now have an FA Cup first qualifying round tie at home to Hamble on Saturday.

Isle of Wight County Press: Cowes skipper John Mckie had chances to score. Cowes skipper John Mckie had chances to score.

Newport, their hearts broken after losing out on promotion in the play-offs, got their season off to a flyer, beating Ash United 4-3 in an entertaining game.

Port get off to a great start, going a goal up through Liam Triggs after a decent move.

On 22 minutes, Josh Younie finishes off a Connor Kelly ball to double their lead.
Ash pull one back from a free kick on the edge of the box, but Newport showed character to make it 3-1 almost immediately though Kelly.

Again, Ash pull one back with a drive from 20 yards — game on.

Isle of Wight County Press: Connor Kelly (in yellow) scored one and made one for Newport at Ash United. Photo: Graham BrownConnor Kelly (in yellow) scored one and made one for Newport at Ash United. Photo: Graham Brown

Joe McCormack pulls off a superb save to keep Port in the lead at half-time, but the Islanders were wasteful and should have been out of sight as it ends 3-2 after an incredible 45 minutes.

After Kelly’s shot went narrowly wide early on, Ash took advantage and levelled.

But Scott Jones, on his return to the club, put Newport back in front with a bullet header near the end.

In injury time, substitute, Joe Butcher saw his rising shot pushed over the bar, as Newport saw out the game to go top of Division 1.

They also have an FA Cup tie tomorrow, away at Fleet Town.

Fellow Division 1 side, East Cowes Vics kick off their season hosting Amesbury Town.