SHANKLIN 1, WHITECROFT AND BARTON SPORTS 0

SHANKLIN finally achieved what they have been threatening to do for two or three seasons and get the silverware their efforts deserve — winning a league and cup double to round off a remarkable season.

The holders of the Isle of Wight Challenge Cup, W&B, went into the game looking to equal a record four-in-a-row in the competition, held by West Wight.

Shanklin went into it as Division 1 champions, but with two cup final losses (in the Hampshire Saturday Trophy and the Isle of Wight Memorial Cup), they were desperate not to make it an unfortunate hat-trick.

The final, at Brading Town's Peter Henry Ground, on Tuesday, was always going to be close on paper after so many close battles in recent seasons — and so it proved on the night.

Isle of Wight County Press: W&B keeper Kev Mitchell punches decisively during a Shanklin attack.W&B keeper Kev Mitchell punches decisively during a Shanklin attack.

After a scrappy opening ten minutes, with Shanklin forced to soak up a lot of early W&B pressure, Shanklin began to get a foothold in the game.

They almost took the lead on 13 minutes with their first meaningful attack — Pete Wilson seeing his close range header at the back post well parried by Kevin Mitchell.

Read: W&B face Shanklin in Isle of Wight Challenge Cup final

A minute later, the Seasiders should have scored when Wayne Newnham swivelled from ten yards out, but his shot was scuffed, which gave Mitchell the chance to save again.

Isle of Wight County Press: Shanklin keeper Sean Phillips produces an incredible save from a Matt Evans penalty in the second half.Shanklin keeper Sean Phillips produces an incredible save from a Matt Evans penalty in the second half.

Sean Phillips in the Shanklin goal had his first test, a long range effort by Josh Appell which was hit straight at him.

The game became scrappy again, with both sides unable to take control, until W&B — playing down the slope in the first half — created more half chances.

Shanklin did well to block a powerful Sam Yelland effort, following a floated cross from the right on the half hour mark, followed swiftly by another Appell effort, an attempt to curl a shot into the far corner after he cut inside.

Isle of Wight County Press:

But just when it looked like there was no way through for either side, George Carter-Knight was hauled down in the box and the referee had no hesitation in pointing straight to the spot.

However, the normally reliable Iain Seabrook saw his penalty well saved by Mitchell, who guessed the right way and made the save look relatively easy.

After a goalless first half, Shanklin then had the advantage of playing down the slope — and Seabrook almost made amends for his spot kick horror by waltzing past a defender down the right and firing a low, drilled effort, that brought another good save from Mitchell a minute after the restart.

Isle of Wight County Press: W&B keeper Kev Mitchell saves well from a Wayne Newnham shot in the first half.W&B keeper Kev Mitchell saves well from a Wayne Newnham shot in the first half.

W&B winger, Liam Slaven, then hit a powerful shot a few minutes later, which drew an unconvincing save from Phillips.

Then Yelland was put in acres of space 25 yards out, centrally, but he telegraphed where his shot was going, which allowed Phillips to save quite comfortably.

Although Shanklin were the better passing team, the contest remained even and it was hard to tell which way the pendulum would swing.

So when Seabrook inexplicably led with his arm to concede a soft penalty just after the hour, it gave W&B the opening they had worked hard for.

However, Phillips spared Seabrook's blushes by diving down low to his left to superbly tip Matt Evans's spot kick round the post, to the astonishment of the 200-strong crowd.

A minute later, shellshocked W&B allowed Shanklin to hit them on the break, and Kyle Drew saw his low shot well gathered by Mitchell down to his left.

Both teams then seemed to cancel each other out again for a period until defender, Neo Lamb — who had a brilliant season in Newport's colours — attacked down the left, jinking one way, then the other, before blasting in past Mitchell at the near post to give Shanklin the lead on 77 minutes.

A minute later, a Seabrook free kick 25 yards out, forced a good save from Mitchell, although it looked like it was just missing the target anyway.

W&B huffed and puffed, but were unable to create anything of note in the latter stages as Shanklin saw out the game well.

Shanklin: Phillips, Wilson (capt), Lamb, Seabrook, Newnham, Gregory, Cook, Young, Vyse, Drew, Carter-Knight. Subs: Field, Sanderson, Nash.

W&B: Mitchell, Shaw, Martin, Bast, Ovnik (capt), A. Sainsbury, Yelland, Rayner, Appell, Evans, Slaven. Subs: East, Lambert, Wright.