A stalwart of the Isle of Wight Hockey Club, who started and organised the sport's Island festival, has died at the age of 88.

Terry Woodford died on June 25 in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Born in East Cowes in 1932, to Percy and Grace Woodford, he spent a happy childhood with his brothers and sisters in Albany Road as part of The Albany Road gang.

He attended Grange Road Primary School in the town then the Building School in Clarence Road.

In 1948 he joined the Army Apprentice Corps where he started playing hockey.

His first job with Saunders Roe, in East Cowes, was suspended for two years when he did his National Service in the REME.

At Saunders Roe he worked on the Princess flying boats and where he met Maisie Lang who worked in the typing pool.

They married in 1955 and lived in East Cowes until 1961 when Terry joined the Prison Service, living at Parkhurst.

His job took him to the mainland in 1969, returning to Camp Hill in 1975.

This was when he joined the Isle of Wight Hockey Club and in 1991 he was awarded the club's first ever lifetime membership.

Seven years later he helped establish the Newport Victoria Sports and Social Club, an amalgamation of the IW Hockey Club, Newport Cricket Club, Vectis tennis and table tennis clubs.

During his time with the hockey club he organised the first IW festival, with teams visiting from all over the UK for the weekend-long fun knockout competition.

Isle of Wight County Press:

At its peak 96 teams played in the festival.

It ran for many years and Terry finally relinquished his interest in the club when he and Maisie emigrated to New Zealand in 2007.

In his years at Newport Vics he had been president, director and co-founder.

As well as being a hockey player, coach and referee, Terry started the Newport Vics petanque team, building the petanque terrain himself.

Being the petanque club president, match secretary and treasurer for many years, he was awarded an engraved salver for his many sporting achievements.

Terry successfully recovered from a heart-valve replacement operation in 2006 and went on to play many petanque games with his wife in New Zealand.

They spent 14 happy years enjoying New Zealand life to the full.

He is survived by Maisie, four daughters, eight grandchildren and two great granddaughters.

A celebration of Terry's life was held in New Zealand on July 5, viewed by family and friends abroad and on the Island, as they were unable to attend due to Covid restrictions.