Faulkner's first point

Cockfosters 1 Letchworth 1

Cockfosters' new manager Tony Faulkner, in charge for the first time, saw his side play very well for an hour or so only to be caught with a late equaliser.

Faulkner had changed the team with Ray Farley in defence and Scott Dipple in midfield. Both had strong matches in an entertaining Cockfosters side who attacked Letchworth from the start.

Paul Flatt surged through the heart of the visitors' defence on two occasions only to be prevented from scoring by last-ditch tackles.

Sam Elishi was lively in the box and, on 25 minutes, he cut in from the left and cut it back to Danny Hutchings who miscued from ten yards.

Graham Lee suffered a similar fate with an effort in front of goal after good work on the right from Hutchings. The best opportunity for Cockfosters to score came on 235 minutes when Flatt was upended just outside the box on the right hand side.

Mark Blunsum's free kick was met by Elishi a few yards from goal but he somehow managed to head wide.

Cockfosters finally took the lead five minutes into the second half. Hutchings won the bal in midfield and passed to Elishi on the right. Flatt and Blunsum hurried through the middle and, when Elishi crossed low and hard, it was Blunsum who was on hand to shoot firmly past Alan Arber in the Letchworth goal.

Being behind seemed to stir the visitors into action and it was soon afterwards that they first pressurised the Cockfosters defence.

Two substuitutions strengthened the Letchworth midfield and they gradually took control of the match, although their equaliser had a bit of luck about it as Cockfosters' keeper Paul Thorn allowed a free kick from 25 yards to go through his legs at the near post.

o This Saturday Cockfosters visit Milton Keynes in the league, kick-off 2pm.

COCKFOSTERS: Thorn, Price, Lee, Ritter, Field, Farley, Hutchings, Dipple, Blunsum, Elishi, Flatt.

Converted for the new archive on 30 June 2000.Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.