A REFRIGERATOR fire at a Tesco Express sparked an emergency callout this afternoon (Thursday).

Two fire crews from Newport and a single fire crew from Shanklin were called to the scene at Tesco Express in Wootton at around 2.45pm.  

They were responding to a report of an overheated refrigerator and the building has been evacuated.

Firefighters isolated the electric and carried out positive pressure ventilation.

A single crew remains at the scene and the store remains closed.

No injuries have been reported.

UPDATE: The store remains closed this evening due to "a technical fault", a sign on the door says.