FIREFIGHTERS were called out to hedge fire that spread to a property in East Cowes on the Isle of Wight.

The Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service received a report just after 6pm today (Monday), initially of a hedge fire out of control, in the back garden of a terraced property in Vectis Road.

Two crews from Newport and one from Ryde were sent out, using breathing apparatus, one hose reel and ventilation fans at the fire.

A spokesperson for the fire service said the fire had "possibly spread" to a neighbouring property, but was then reportedly "under control".

More to follow. 

UPDATE 7.14am:  A garden shed was destroyed in the fire, which also caused damage to the rear door and guttering of the house itself. 

The fire, which is believed to have been caused by an overheated battery spreading to a hedge, was stopped by firefighters in breathing apparatus using hose reels. 

Ventilation fans were then used to clear smoke before crews conducted "community safety activities", a fire service spokesperson added. 

Firefighters left the scene at around 7pm last night (Monday).