AN ISLE of Wight woman trespassed on the railway track, causing all trains to halt, stole goods from three different stores and got caught with a kitchen knife tucked into her waistband. 

Kellie Burt, of Berry Close, Newport, appeared before Isle of Wight magistrates on Tuesday, May 28.

The 19-year-old admitted possession of a knife in a public place, trespassing on a railway, common assault, three counts of theft, and a public order offence, in Ryde and Newport, between November 14 of last year, and Feb 6.

Prosecutor, Liz Miller, said police received a call from Burt on February 6, threatening to jump on the railway track. Burt later went onto the railway track while a train was on the down line.

Ms Miller said her presence on the track meant railway staff had to power down the line, halting all trains.

The court heard Burt later ran onto Ryde Pier, making threats to jump over the railings.

Of the knife offence, Ms Miller said Burt was caught with a large kitchen knife tucked into her waistband on November 14 of last year, after a member of the public reported seeing her walking along Newport Quay with a knife in her hand.

Addressing the assault matter, Ms Miller told the bench Burt spat in the store manager’s face at Sainsbury’s, on Foxes Road, after causing a nuisance.

Of the theft matters, the court heard she stole a pair of jogging bottoms and a hooded top belonging to JD Sports valued at £135, soft drinks, to the value of £3.30, belonging to Pan Stores, and bottles of alcohol, to the value of £8.98, belonging to Lidl.

Michael McGoldrick, defending, said on all matters, Burt pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity, but a delay in proceedings was for a psychiatrist to determine her fitness to plead.

He said Burt did not function as a 19-year-old, but as someone much younger with significant learning difficulties.

Mr McGoldrick said she did know the difference between right and wrong, and was apologetic.

Burt was made subject of an 18-month community order, to include 30 rehabilitation days, and ordered to pay £112.28 compensation.