120 years ago, in April, 1904:

A bullock with a sweet tooth, being herded with others up Ventnor High Street, decided to pay a visit to a confectionery shop. Staff in Roffs fled to a back room and watched as the bull had a sniff around, turned and walked back out without damaging a single item.

A Northwood resident lodged a complaint at an IW Rural District Council meeting about safety at the Parkhurst rifle range. He provided proof of the danger by producing a bullet, which had been extracted from a gate post close to his home.

95 years ago, in April, 1929:

A Japanese fair, including a missionary exhibition, was held in Sandown to raise funds for St John's Church and to show the work of the vicar, who had been a missionary in Japan for many months. His wife, who opened the fair, said the people of such a great country should be converted to Christianity, as should all of mankind.

The world's largest motor lifeboat was tested in water off the Island. Built by J. Samuel White and Co, The Princess Mary was 61ft long, could carry 300 people in calm water and was built with £14,500 donated by P&O.

An all-Island spinsters' ball took place in Newport and was well-attended by single Island women. A spinning wheel, donated by a naval captain from Yarmouth, took
pride of place as the symbol of the spinsters. Celebrations lasted well into the early hours.

70 years ago, on May 1, 1954:

The first-ever ice skating show on the Island was being promoted at the Commodore Theatre, Ryde. A rink had to be specially installed for the six-day run of Goldilocks and the Three Bears on Ice. Seats were priced between 2s 6d (12%/p) and 5s 6d (27%p).

Members of the congregation of Church of the Good Shepherd, Lake, clubbed together to pay for a holiday for their vicar and his wife. The Rev J. Outram had served the church for five years without taking any holiday.

45 Years Ago, in April, 1979:

Island voters had a double the reason to vote in the 1979 General Election as they had to elect a member of parliament as well as choosing councillors for the Island's two boroughs. With the number of people eligible to vote increased from 86,243 in 1974 to 91,893, a record turnout was expected but the result was also expected to be close in the parliamentary race, as MP Stephen Ross only had a majority of 2,000.

A giant cross-channel hovercraft, undergoing modifications at the British Hovercraft Corporation's East Cowes base, was launched and tested. The Princess Margaret, measuring 185 ft long, could seat up to 416 passengers and 60 cars at speeds of more than 70mph. The modifications carried out by BHC, included stretching it by 40ft.

30 years ago, in April, 1994:

Southern Vectis' oldest, open-top double-deck bus celebrated its 55th birthday by taking part in the Historic Commercial Vehicle London to Brighton run. The Old Girl carried a number of staff members and their families.

The disused Temperature factory in Lake was bought for £1 million, raising hopes for hundreds of new jobs for Islanders. The deal to buy the 11-acre site was clinched by Spithead Estates, who then sold on office and manufacturing space to businesses, including Island Plastics.