A DRUNKEN man who became extremely violent with staff and a customer in a Morrisons supermarket on the Isle of Wight, was jailed by magistrates.

He attacked the store manager when challenged — taking him to the floor, punching his face and attempting to headbutt him.

Steven Yeo, of Park Road, Ryde, admitted two charges of assaulting an emergency worker, namely police officers, in the execution of their duties, assaulting a man by beating, shoplifting, possessing a knuckleduster and possession of cannabis, when he appeared at the Isle of Wight Magistrates' Court on Friday (February 9). 

The incident happened in Newport on February 7. 

Police were called to an incident at Morrisons supermarket in Newport, involving Yeo, at 7.40pm that day.

After he attacked the store manager, a security guard and shoppers restrained Yeo, and a member of the public was punched in the face by him, said Lauren Stone, prosecuting.

Yeo struggled during his arrest and was warned to stop, resulting in officers spraying Pava into his face as he continued trying to kick officers.

During a search of Yeo, police found knuckledusters and cannabis, Miss Stone added.

At Newport Police Station, Yeo kicked an officer's leg.

Yeo, with a criminal record of seven convictions for 15 offences between 2019-23, had, in committing last week's offences, breached a 15-week jail term, suspended for 18 months.

For Yeo, Oscar Vincent said his client, with mental health issues, had been doing well — abstaining from drink for 14 months — until his relationship came to an end.

"His last memory of that day was leaving home to walk to Newport Bus Station, to get to Ryde," Mr Vincent said.

"He was warned by a friend earlier that day not to lapse back into drinking, but he foolishly ignored him. He put his actions down to drink during a mental breakdown."

All the supermarket goods — £217.96 worth — were recovered.

The bench told Yeo he had wasted his chance and imprisoned him for 12 weeks, together with a £200 fine and an £80 surcharge.

Yeo was also ordered to pay £50 compensation to his two victims.