An Isle of Wight man who bit and kicked a hospital security guard after he was told to stop vaping has been spared jail.

Drew Whittaker, of Culver Parade, Sandown was sentenced at the Isle of Wight Crown Court on February 5, around 18 months after the offence took place.

He previously denied assault occasioning bodily harm but was found guilty by magistrates following a trial on January 4. 

Court heard how on August 7, 2022, the security team at St Mary's Hospital, Newport were dealing with an "awkward male" who had a head injury and had tried to leave the hospital through the ambulance entrance.

Security noted the man, Whittaker, had lost consciousness while leaning against the laundry trolley and had to be put in a wheelchair and then a bed.

Prosecuting, Robin Shellard said Whittaker had become agitated, telling staff: "if you are not going to look at my head, then let me leave".

While laying in his bed, Whittaker was told not to use a vape by a security guard but he ignored the request.

The security guard tried to take the vape away but Whittaker kicked out at him.

He proceeded to shout and swear, the court was told, and labelled the security guards "pathetic wannabe coppers".

Whittaker then bit one of the guards on the right forearm, which left superficial lacerations.

Police were called and Whittaker was taken to Newport Police Station.

Whittaker has four previous convictions for nine offences — one of which was for assaulting an emergency worker.

Defending, Oliver Hirsch said 2022 was a difficult year for Whittaker.

He said Whittaker suffered a head injury so severe that he was having fits at the police station and glass was found in his head.

He said Whittaker could not remember much of the incident and has not offended since.

Judge Newton-Prince agreed Whittaker was making good progress and said it was "not in the public interest to disrupt this".

Whittaker was handed a community order of 18 months.

He was also ordered to carry out 30 rehabilitation activity requirement days.