A warning has been issued to dog owners after an Isle of Wight beach walk turned into a nightmare - thanks to an incident involving a fishing hook.

Lauren Scovell's chocolate Labrador Tara was enjoying a walk on Sandown beach by the Sundial cafe when she inadvertently swallowed a fishing hook.

It was feared she would have to have surgery at a specialist vets to get it removed, but luckily an invasive treatment was avoided and the vets managed to get the hook out of Tara's stomach using a scope.

Lauren, of Winford, said she wanted to warn other dog owners because she has since discovered there are lots of fishing hooks washed up on the beach, in areas from Sandown through to Shanklin right across the Bay.

The County Press got an update on 11-year-old Tara, following Saturday's incident.

Lauren said: "She’s doing OK. We’re just taking each day as it comes."

Isle of Wight County Press: The fishing hook swallowed by TaraThe fishing hook swallowed by Tara (Image: Lauren Scovell)