A young Isle of Wight family are facing the prospect of being homeless for Christmas after "losing it all" in a devastating flat fire.

A fundraiser has been launched for Ventnor couple Shane Jamie Rout-Lavell and Samantha Street, and their two children.

The actions of Samantha, who managed to get the pair's daughter and son safely out of the burning flat on her own, have been hailed as 'heroic'.

Fire broke out at their top floor flat on Dudley Road on the evening of Thursday, November 23.

Shane, 28, said a tea light on a wax burner was the cause.

The fire left the family with 'nothing but the clothes they were standing in'.

Here's how to donate to Shane and Samantha's Go Fund Me

To donate to Shane and Samantha's Go Fund Me, click HERE.

At the time of the blaze, Samantha was at home bathing her eldest child, Oliver, 7. She had gone into her bedroom to get him a towel but, instead, was met with 'a gulf of smoke and flames'.

She quickly got her daughter Esme, 5, from her bed, grabbed her son, and then alerted the neighbour, before evacuating the building.

It happened so quickly, Oliver had to come down in a towel.

As well as the children, Samantha was also able to get the family's two French Bulldogs to safety.

Meanwhile, plumber Shane, who was working in Chale, 'abruptly' got in the car after a neighbour phoned to say the bedroom window had 'exploded'.

Following the fire, the family have been staying in a hotel. Shane has said they will not be moving back into the flat.

"We've lost everything", he said.

"I don't care about the TV and Xbox's and stuff like that because they're replaceable. 

"It's just the little things.

"We go to The Needles every year to take the kids to see Santa. We've had a little bauble done every year. We've lost seven years worth of them with Ollie."

A Go Fund Me page has been set up by Shane's dad, Jamie, who hailed Samantha as 'heroic'.

At the time of print, more than £1,000 has been raised.

Money will go towards housing the family, and 'Christmas for the children'.

Shane said he was initially against the idea as he does not like 'handouts'. But, he said "it's nice to see the support."

"It's also helped mentally as well, knowing there's so many people around us", he said.

"I want to say a massive thank you from the bottom of my heart."

In the future, Shane has said he is 'banning' tea lights and candles.

He is also encouraging families to double check they have fire plans in place.