POLICE today announced a murder investigation into the death of a Shanklin man has now ceased.

Here's what we know about the death of David Johns.

When and where did David Johns die?

Hampshire Constabulary said at the time, Mr Johns had been found with serious injuries and was pronounced dead, after officers were called to an incident at 10.11pm, on Monday, April 25.

Mr Johns was inside a flat on St John's Road, Shanklin.

A cordon was erected around the property and special investigators and forensics experts came across to the Island from the mainland.

Was there a suspicion around the death, at the time?

Three people were arrested at the time in connection with the incident. They were two women, aged 29 and 52, and a 36-year-old man.

Read more: Incident unfolds in Shanklin

Isle of Wight County Press:

On April 26, police confirmed they were launching a murder investigation into the death of Mr Johns.

Police confirmed the three people arrested, were all arrested on suspicion of murder.

Both women remained in custody that day, but it was revealed the 36-year-old man was being treated in hospital for injuries he sustained during the incident.

Supt Jim Pegler said: “I know that this incident will be a shock to the local community. I would like to reassure people that there are no wider risks to the public, and we believe this is an isolated and contained incident."

The two women were later released without charge.

Isle of Wight County Press:

The 36-year-old remained in custody.

Family pays tribute to David Johns

Hampshire Constabulary named the deceased as David Johns on May 3, and his family paid tribute.

Isle of Wight County Press:

He was 55 and a Brentford fan.

A Brentford scarf was hung outside the property where he died.

His family said: "He was a great dad, grandad and brother. We will miss him very much."

The investigation into the death continued

The following day, May 4, the suspect was released on bail with conditions, until May 23.

Further enquiries into the death continued to be made.

Suspect released without charge and murder case is closed

Today, August 5, Hampshire Constabulary announced that the man has been released without charge.

No-one else is being sought over the death of Mr Johns.

A spokesperson said: "On the basis of all the evidence obtained by the Major Crime Team following extensive enquiries, a file was submitted to the Crown Prosecution Service. They have made a decision for the man to be released without charge."

Following the decision by the CPS, what happens now? 

There will not be any criminal charges relating to Mr Johns' death.

The circumstances surrounding his death will now be a matter for Isle of Wight Coroner Caroline Sumeray.

Police say they will continue to make enquiries to support the Coroner’s investigation.

An inquest will be held in due course.