A BIN lorry had to be emptied onto the road in Freshwater over the Easter bank holiday weekend (April 18) after a barbecue started a fire.

The Isle of Wight Council is reminding residents and visitors about the dangers of putting hot disposable barbecues and used coals in their rubbish.

Binning hot barbecues puts refuse workers and the general public at risk while putting more pressure on emergency services.

Amey, the council’s waste contractor, has seen several dangerous incidents involving fires in collection vehicles and at its recycling centre on Forest Road.

The sources of these fires are discarded uncooled barbecues, batteries and aerosols.

Isle of Wight County Press: Bin lorry fire in Freshwater. Picture by Friends of Freshwater Fire Station.Bin lorry fire in Freshwater. Picture by Friends of Freshwater Fire Station.

Natasha Dix, the council’s strategic manager for waste and environment, said: "It's essential that people ensure barbecues are extinguished before disposing of these to prevent fire.

"These fires can often have enormous consequences, damaging collection vehicles and risking the lives of our refuse workers."

To avoid accidental fires, the council recommends barbecue users drench ashes with water or let them cool completely for at least 48 hours.

Never put hot ash or part-burned materials from domestic or garden fires or barbecues or put used portable barbecues in the bin before they are completely cooled.