A STREET dealer seen openly selling drugs in East Cowes and whose drug supply led to a vulnerable teenager overdosing, was jailed for four years.

Brandon Atkins, of no fixed address, admitted three counts of supplying drugs —cocaine, ketamine and cannabis — and possessing cannabis, between May 1 and June 30.

He was arrested after a vulnerable 15-year-old boy, with bi-polar disorder, was taken to St Mary's Hospital, Newport, semi-conscious having taken a drug overdose on June 22.

Concerned by how he ended up that way, the boy's dad searched through his phone and found Atkins's contact number, with texts showing a drugs supply, said Victoria Lovett, prosecuting, at the Isle of Wight Crown Court on Wednesday.

The boy's father traced Atkins, 21, on social media and passed details and the texts to police.

Police arrested Atkins at an address in Acorn Gardens, East Cowes, eight days later.

Atkins was asleep when officers searched the premises. They found mobile phones — one of which was switched on showing message alerts requesting drugs — together with a bag containing 1.44g of cannabis, empty 'deal' bags and a knuckleduster.

Months before his arrest, several residents reported to the police they had seen Atkins supplying drugs to customers in and around Acorn Gardens.

"They told police they were concerned drug dealing had increased in plain sight, day or night, close to their homes. Understandably, they were concerned for their children," Miss Lovett explained.

Atkins, with 23 previous convictions for 64 offences, gave a 'no comment' interview to the police.

On March 19 last year, Atkins was jailed for violent disorder, with his latest offences committed during his post-sentence supervision, which expired on July 8 this year.

Then on July 19, Atkins was jailed for 12 weeks for criminal damage, common assault and using violence to enter a property on June 26.

For Atkins, Oscar Vincent conceded his client had an extensive antecedent history, but stressed his latest offences were his first for drugs.

Regarding the teenager, Atkins was adamant he did not supply tablets that led to his hospitalisation, but admitted supplying cannabis to him.

Mr Vincent said a psychiatric report detailed his client's 'horrific' childhood. He had been taken into care, then sexually assaulted, and that neglect led to his offending behaviour and an addiction to hard drugs.

"He was selling drugs to feed his own habit. He was unemployed and sold drugs on behalf of dealers higher up the chain," Mr Vincent said.

He said Atkins has since detoxed and demonstrated empathy for the teenager who overdosed.