AN ISLE of Wight man's life as a drug dealer came to an abrupt halt when staff told police they found ecstasy and a drug dealer list in his room at his supported accommodation.

Kyle Shaw, now of Newport Road, Godshill, faces the prospect of being handed a jail term by a crown court judge after he admitted possessing MDMA with intent to supply, and being concerned in the supply of cannabis.

The offences took place between March 1 and June 30 last year.

On the afternoon of June 29 last year, police were called by staff at The Foyer, in George Street, Ryde, to report they found class A drugs, a dealer list and digital scales in his room at the supported accommodation.

After the police arrived, 21-year-old Shaw returned and was arrested on suspicion of drug dealing.

They also searched him and found cannabis and seized two mobile phones and a dealer tick list, said Liz Miller, prosecuting, at the Isle of Wight Magistrates' Court on Tuesday (12).

On examining the phones, police discovered plenty of drug dealing activity, with some of the messages centred around the availability of various types of class A and B drugs.

The street value of the drugs seized was between £660 and £880.

Shaw could potentially be imprisoned for up to seven years for such offences, said Miss Miller.

For Shaw, Brian McMonnie said his client became homeless following a split with his ex-partner and found himself accommodated at The Foyer.

Shaw had been a fairly regular cannabis smoker prior to living there, the court heard.

"With Covid hitting, lockdown hitting, losing his job at a restaurant and being surrounded by people who use drugs every day, his cannabis use went up and he started using ecstasy," said Mr McMonnies.

"He admits drug supply, but not in a significant role. He has supplied it to other people to fund his own addictions.

"He believes in some ways he was glad the police came knocking, but said it was a kick in the teeth. Things have gone horribly wrong for him."

Magistrates ordered a report on Shaw, stating their sentencing powers were insufficient — referring his case to the higher court.

Shaw was bailed to reappear for sentencing at the Isle of Wight Crown Court on November 10.