A NEWPORT man hurled tiles from the roof of a mental health unit, causing thousands of pounds worth of damage.

Mark Anthony Booth-Pain, of Heath Close, appeared before the Isle of Wight Crown Court on Tuesday (September 14).

At a previous hearing at the Isle of Wight Magistrates' Court on April 9, the 42 year old admitted affray and a string of criminal damage offences.

He has since been charged with breaching court bail. A warrant for his arrest was executed on August 24.

The charges to relate to an incident on Friday, April 2, at St Mary’s Hospital.

Riot shields were drawn to protect the public and property when Booth-Pain started throwing the objects, police said at the time.

A police spokesperson said several vehicles were damaged and officers were "deployed with riot shields" due to roof tiles being thrown at people and vehicles in the car park.

Six vehicles were damaged in total — a Landrover Freelander, a Citroen C3, an Audi, Suzuki Swift, a BMW 2 series and a Ford Focus.

Back in April, prosecutor Liz Miller told the court the tiles were classed as weapons, and because the incident involved threats to the police, the case was too serious for the magistrates’ court.

It was suggested he might set fire to things, which made necessary the attendance of the fire service.

Keith Verrinder, defending, said Booth-Pain had been in contact with the mental health crisis team but was disappointed with the help offered.

He said he was told to go away, at which point he felt aggrieved, and decided to climb on to the roof where he would be spotted, viewing it as a way to get in.

He said, while up there, being exposed and surrounded by lots of people, he felt threatened, panicked and lost his head.

Appearing before Judge Malcolm Gibney on Tuesday, Booth-Pain saw his case adjourned so a psychiatric report could be made available for the purposes of preparing a pre-sentence report.

He was remanded in custody, and will next appear before the court on December 6 for sentencing.