A RED Funnel ferry has ground to a halt in East Cowes this afternoon (Sunday). 

The ferry is reportedly docked at the East Cowes terminal, causing significant delays.

More to follow. 

UPDATE 5.30m: 

A member of staff said the Red Eagle is waiting for a passenger to get off. 

County Press readers have reported hearing the sound of a helicopter flying overhead. 

Another ferry due to return to the terminal has been reported in stasis off the coast of East Cowes waiting to dock.

UPDATE 5.55pm: 

Isle of Wight Police are in attendance. 

Isle of Wight County Press:

County Press readers have reported there are now fewer passengers in the terminal and the bottom deck drawbridge has been raised. 

UPDATE 6pm: 

A second police unit has arrived. 

Isle of Wight County Press:

UPDATE 6.15pm:

The Red Eagles appears to have departed so another ferry can dock.

A third police unit has arrived.

UPDATE 6.20pm: 

Red Funnel has confirmed there is no operational or technical issue.

It says it is doing everything it can to get the service back to timetable.

UPDATE 6.30pm: 

The Isle of Wight Ambulance Service has arrived. 

Police have brought the passenger off and Red Funnel says it will issue a full statement in the morning. 

Isle of Wight County Press:

UPDATE 1pm: 

A spokesperson for Isle of Wight Police said: "We were called just after 5.30pm yesterday (November 1) to a report of a concern for the welfare of a woman in her 20s at East Cowes Ferry Terminal.

"Officers attended to assist."

UPDATE 4pm: 

A spokesperson for Red Funnel said: “We experienced a delay to our vehicle ferry service during the afternoon of November 1, due to a vulnerable passenger refusing to disembark Red Falcon following her arrival in East Cowes at 4pm.

"Although the passenger was accompanied by two carers, it was a very challenging situation for our crew, which resulted in the police attending, and subsequently, the ambulance service as a precaution.

"No passengers or crew were hurt during the incident.  

“Everyone involved did everything they could to resolve the situation as safely as possible, with the passenger’s welfare at the forefront of our response.

"We are very proud of the efforts displayed by the Red Funnel crew who assisted.  

“Red Falcon resumed her planned sailings at 6.10pm, around one hour and 40 minutes after her scheduled departure.

"We apologise to our other passengers who were disrupted by the delay.”