A FIRE broke out at a Ryde home last night (Thursday) — caused by a log burner that had been going since November.

One fire engine from Ryde fire station was sent to the property, at Great Preston Road, shortly before 6.30pm.

An Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said firefighters used a specialist chimney equipment, a hose reel jet and buckets of water to extinguish the fire.

The Ryde team posted on twitter: "We were mobilised to a chimney fire yesterday evening. While investigating the cause, it turned out the log burner had been burning day and night since November and hadn’t been swept for over a year."

They directed homeowners to fire safety advice, urging them to sweep their chimneys, use a fireguard and extinguish fires before going to bed.

For further information, visit www.iow.gov.uk/Residents/Fire-and-Rescue-Service/Home-Fire-Safety-Advice-and-Education/In-the-Home2

Don't forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.