A DRAMATIC video, shared by Freshwater Fire Station, shows how a candle flame can turn into an inferno in just two-and-a-half minutes.

The video was shot during training in Sandown yesterday (Tuesday).

Firefighters were shown how a candle flame can quickly turn into a toxic fire gas and flame filled 300 degree blaze.

A spokesperson for Freshwater Fire said: " A graphic reminder that working smoke alarms could alert you to a situation like this in seconds giving you and your family time to escape.

"Now might be a good time to check your smoke alarms."

Don't forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.